Wednesday 26 January 2011

Alice Macklin's Software and Services Run Down 26/01/11

 Guest Editorship - Alice Macklin, Senior Conference Researcher, Software and Services
managed services, mobile financial services, global messaging, mobile UX and more....
         
 1.       THE FINAL FRONTIER Google’s going into space! The Surrey Space Centre has decided to test Android in the most severe environment they know and, if it passes the test, they’re going to put it in charge of a satellite. That’s pretty cool.
2.       BIG BROTHER
Geofencing is apparently taking off in the States in quite a big way. A friendly event Chairman sent me
this last week – T-Mobile’s latest location-based offering. The technology is very impressive, but if I’m honest I remain unconvinced. At the Smart Devices & User Experience event last November Nick Healey at Slash Design talked about the ‘creepy side of the personalisation line’ – is T-Mobile’s FamilyMap edging onto this ground? I’m certainly not comfortable with the idea of even my nearest and dearest knowing where I am at all times

3.       PLAYING BY EAR
I came across
this whilst doing some research for our Global Messaging & VAS event in June. Clearly powered by witchcraft, it seems like a pretty awesome piece of technology.

4.       SHOW ME THE MONEY
eCommerce is very much on people’s minds at the moment, and with that comes the issue of security. I’ve had a lot of people tell me that mobile finance is just as secure as doing it online, if not more so simply because the medium makes consumers slightly nervous. It was pointed out by an article on
SmartMoney, though, that
paying by phone ‘nixes federal protections that allow you to dispute inaccurate credit card charges’. This is the first time I’ve heard that point raised – how much of a concern should it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment